What support and training is available?
We highly value the critical role of foster carers and the contributions that their families and friends make in nurturing children and young people.
Each foster carer is supported by a caseworker from Alternative Care Services. Together, the carer and case worker form a caring team to plan for the child's development and monitor progress.
Other support we provide for foster carers includes:
- training to support the caring role, including child development, discipline and managing difficult behaviours
- support through the assessment process
- professional counselling services
- regular contact to review the progress and wellbeing of the child in your care
- support group meetings
- after hours support services.
Foster carers also receive financial support from the state government (click to go to the DFC website).