Make Christmas a time to focus on quality time with family and friends. Organise for a shared lunch or dinner where everyone contributes.
Buy your presents throughout the year, look out for sales and specials.
Instead of family members having to buy gifts for everyone, suggest that each person draws a name out of a hat and buys a gift only for the person whose name they draw out.
Make your own Christmas cards and write in them the things that you really value about the person you are giving the card to.
Put an extra grocery item in the cupboard each pay as a store for Christmas.
Make your own presents.
Lay-by gifts during the year.
- Give gifts of need.
- Try to pay cash for gifts instead of using credit cards.
- Contact family and friends and inform them that you are setting a $5 limit per person and giving something that is fun or a particular theme.
- Get everyone together for a shared picnic and have a lucky dip.
- Grow some cuttings or seeds as presents to give at Christmas.
- Spend a day on the weekend baking goodies as gifts for friends, colleagues and family.
- Organise to share the cost of the family meal and rotate the location yearly.