Overview / History
The Lutheran Church of Australia has always engaged in activities supporting child welfare, hospital and prison visiting, Christmas cheer for psychiatric patients and those with special needs within congregations.
In the 1950's a number of women in the Lutheran Church became increasingly aware of the growing need for community support for women suffering from domestic violence, mental illness, poverty and a number of social welfare problems termed as 'social distress'.
These women were well ahead of their time and in an action that was visionary, the Lutheran Women of South Australia formed a Social Welfare Committee in 1964 which led to the formal opening of The Lutheran Social Welfare Centre on 23 November 1969 at the current premises at 309 Prospect Road, Blair Athol.
This was a milestone for the Lutheran Church and a God-send for the poverty stricken and newly arrived migrants living in the northern metropolitan suburbs of Adelaide.
In 1986 The Lutheran Social Welfare Centre changed its name to Lutheran Community Care.
Today, Lutheran Community Care has grown from one paid staff member to over 90 full time and part time staff and over 600 wonderful volunteers. There are 13 offices, four op shops and over 50 social and community programs that support many thousands of individuals and families every year across South Australia and the Northern Territory.
For further information please take a look at our History Book:
> History Book.pdf (3.11 MB)